Re: KDE is now broken (Fwd: Heads-up: KDE4 hitting testing tonight (UTC) )

lee said:

> On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 10:58:34AM -0500, John Hasler wrote:

>> But why do you want to use KDE at all?
>
> Why not? I liked some of the things it provided, but that doesn't mean I
> would use or need all its features. I tried out the calendar/PIM it has
> and I didn't like it: So why should I run a mysql server for that?
>
> Besides all that, shouldn't things after an upgrade work as well or
> better as they did before? In this case, they don't.

I read a defensive post on the Kubuntu list - there is a *lot* of
defensiveness around kde4 at the moment - that claims that kde4 is a
rewrite and so users should adjust their expectations accordingly.

It reminded me of Joel Spolsky's article, 'Things You Should Never Do':

"They make the single worst strategic mistake that any software company
can make: They decided to rewrite the code from scratch."

"if [they] actually had some adult supervision with software industry
experience, they might not have shot themselves in the foot so badly."

The whole kde4 fiasco has radically altered my view of FOSS. I now know,
with very few exceptions, that the leaders of FOSS projects are very,
very inexperienced at real world software delivery.

Heaven help us when Linus moves on. I bet there are folk lining up to
rewrite the kernel right now. And there will be a huge queue of folk
right behind them shrieking, "New! Shiny!".

I think I'll buy a Mac.

--
Best,
Marc