Choosing my own GTK theme

On Sat, 23 May 2009 09:28:51 +0100, Harry Rickards wrote:

>> I just found out that the GTK themes look different in my account than
>> it should. E.g., the bg_color for the Crux theme in gtk2-engines is
>> #d3d7cf, however, it shows as #f6f6f6 in my account. If I create
>> another account, all themes show up correctly, whereas in my account
>> every single themes in gtk2-engines looks somewhat different.
>>
>> My fist thought is that it is because of my daunting GTK related config
>> files, So I did
>>
>>  cd
>>  rm -rf .gconf .gconfd .gnome/ .gnome2/ .gnome2_private/
>>  .gstreamer-0.10/
>>
>> To clean them up. But still, the problem remains the same.
>>
>> What could be the reason? How could I fix it?
>
> Try deleting .gtk-bookmarks, .gtkrc-2.0 and .gtkrc-2.0-custom.

I don't have .gtk-bookmarks, and .gtkrc-2.0-custom. The .gtkrc-2.0 is
auto-generated by gtk-theme-switch2, so I didn't think it would work but
gave it a try. To my greatest surprise,

Removing ~/.gtkrc-2.0 did the trick. All the themes in gtk2-engines look
as expected afterward. However, if I use gtk-theme-switch2 to pick own
GTK theme (ie. save a new ~/.gtkrc-2.0 file) then redo startx, all themes
in gtk2-engines looks somewhat different again.

Does anyone have similar experience?

Thanks

PS.

$ cat ~/.gtkrc-2.0
# -- THEME AUTO-WRITTEN BY gtk-theme-switch2 DO NOT EDIT
include "/usr/share/themes/Crux/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"

include "/home/tong/.gtkrc-2.0.mine"

# -- THEME AUTO-WRITTEN BY gtk-theme-switch2 DO NOT EDIT

$ ls /home/tong/.gtkrc-2.0.mine
ls: cannot access /home/tong/.gtkrc-2.0.mine: No such file or directory

> If that doesn't work and you're using GDM

I use startx to launch xorg.

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
  http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/