Re: KDE is now broken (Fwd: Heads-up: KDE4 hitting testing tonight (UTC) )

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 09:04:09AM -0500, John Hasler wrote:
> lee writes:
> > In any case, it would be nice to have a working KDE without having to run
> > a mysql server. Is there a way to do that?
>
> That depends on how you define "working KDE".  The KDE metapackage depends
> on packages that depend on mysql-server.  Most KDE packages do not depend
> on mysql-server.  You should be able to install KDE, remove mysql-server,
> and allow the packages to depend it to be removed as well.

That's sort of what I did, i. e. KDE was installed before the last
update. Aptitude couldn't seem to solve some dependency problems and
finally removed packages I would have wanted to keep but that I could
do without with. It let it install mysql-server during the update
because I thought it would be easier to let it do one step after
another. After the update, I removed mysql-server and the packages
depending on it, and now KDE doesn't work anymore: kdm says there's no
greating widget and I should check the configuration when it starts.

>  On the other
> hand, you could just install the packages you need.  KDE is just a bunch of
> packages that the KDE maintainers think go together.  It's already clear
> that you don't agree with them.

Yeah, I know, but it was too late for that even before the
upgrade. And removing the kde metapackage doesn't remove any of the
kde packages that it had installed, so I can't uninstall kde easily.