Re: sudo vs. su (was Re: new to list, new to debian, new to linux)

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 6:19 PM, dwain <dwain.alford@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 6:09 PM, Douglas A. Tutty <dtutty@vianet.ca> wrote:
>>
>> > i too was disappointed.  i tried su and authentication failed.  how do i
>> > update my system without being able to log in as root?
>> >
>> > now i don't mind a spirited discussion on the pros and cons of sudo vs.
>> > su,
>> > but my original question still has not been answered; and with this new
>> > development i am really at a loss.
>> >
>> > you are saying that  sudo and su are not available from a user console,
>> > then
>> > how do i fix this so i can become root when i need to?
>>

>> Root login from a secure serial console has been described as the
>> ultimate command line of last resort.  I always have a serial console
>> set up in inittab (and in grub too for that matter).  I guess if you
>> can't log in as root (or otherwise get root), you'll need to boot a live
>> CD such as grml and fix whatever is preventing you from getting root.
>>
>> A last resort would be:
>>
>> 1.      physically disconnect the box from the network.
>> 2.      boot a live CD
>> 3.      edit the password file to allow root login without a password
>> 4.      reboot into the system and log in as root
>> 5.      passwd as root and give yourself a root password.
>> 6.      shutdown
>> 7.      reconnect the box to the network.
>> 8.      carry on as normal.
>>

>> If you want to use sudo for most things, but have root login available,
>> put the root password in a card in an envelope in a locked location.
>> You'll know if someone needed the root password by the tear in the
>> envelope.  Unless it was removed, the root login should be recorded in
>> syslog as well.
>>

> thanks for the reply.  i would definitely need more detailed information for
> your solution, but i think i have solved the problem.  i have played around
> with other linux distros before with the same result as i am experiencing
> now, but (now for the solution) none of them had a root terminal like debian
> has, or i didn't see one.  i could update, although there didn't appear to
> be updates available, from this terminal.  what a terrific idea.  and my
> root password worked on the login to the root terminal.
>
> please don't tell me that using the root terminal is not prescribed, but
> tell me if you must.  finding the root terminal has made my life with debian
> much less stressful.  i probably will not be using it very much, except for
> updates to the system, but it's nice to know that it works.

I forget and am to lazy to look up the dets of your original post . .
. but . . .

<grain-o-salt>
So . . . you want root(-like) access for upgrading and adding
packages? Otherwise, you'll be logging in like like the rest of us
drakes ( I think that's the term)? Basically, you want to go from your
drake-login to an admin position to do certain things ?
</grain-o-salt>

Well, it depends upon the privileges of your users (eg. drake). . .
look that up (if you don't know)? 'su' is a default command that
allows root capabilities and requires root pword. 'sudo' is a
non-default package that is similar (as the "interesting" discussion
has pointed out). All of this is well documented.

In the end, the "interesting" discussion has given you some tid-bits
to chew on. User privileges is a very basic thing and I suspect the
"interesting" tangent is due to this fact. Perhaps they assume the
most basic (although, from some of the posts, it's doubtful).

-Neal

--
www.nealhogan.net          www.lambdaserver.com