Re: Debian and the future: IPv6

Paul E Condon wrote:

*snip*
Lenny, and Debian stock linux kernel, 2.6.26-1-686. Is this host
capable? If not, what is the current thinking about when IPv6 might
actually arrive? Or is it likely to be one of those things, like World
Peace, that has been in future and likely always will be --- in the
future?

I have been making use of a tunnel broker for a few weeks now and from my limited experience and exposure to IPv6, I would have to say that the base OS is capable, some of the supporting packages are not. For example, the version of ISC DHCP that's included with Lenny is not IPv6 ready (need version 4 at a minimum).

Of course, the general feel I get from my web searching for various subjects regarding IPv6 is that a lot of it is still considered experimental and unfinished (another example, per the docs, the wide-dhcpv6 doesn't support all of what IPv6 can do).

Then there is the howtos and such that assume that a user (heh, originally typed that as usr) is going to go the autoconfig route and never goes into how to assign it all manually (router advertisement daemon anyone?).

So while the foundation is there, what comes after that is incomplete or poorly documented. It's frustrating at times (which is why I'm looking at replacements for ISC BIND for the IPv6 subdomain I'm trying to configure), but also kind of fun figuring it out.

YMMV