Debian and the future: IPv6

There was a time, in the distant past, but within the time since
I started using Debian, that the default /etc/hosts file did not
contain the collection of lines beginning with the comment:

"# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts"

When I first saw these lines, I knew very well that my Debian host, at
that time, was not yet an "IPv6 capable host". But now I am running
Lenny, and Debian stock linux kernel, 2.6.26-1-686. Is this host
capable? If not, what is the current thinking about when IPv6 might
actually arrive? Or is it likely to be one of those things, like World
Peace, that has been in future and likely always will be --- in the
future?

I don't feel any need for IPv6. I'm just wondering when, if ever, I will
need to confront it as a new reality in daily life.

TIA
--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net