Re: What hardware to use for Debian Firewall/Gateway or server?

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 9:18 AM, Douglas A. Tutty <dtutty@vianet.ca> wrote:
On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 09:31:14PM +0200, Csanyi Pal wrote:
> I have at my home a small network:
> firewall/gateway: Pentium II Class PC box with 64 MB RAM, 5,1 GB HDD
> server          : Pentium IV Class PC box with  2 GB RAM, 60 GB HDD
> desktop         : Pentium IV Class PC box with  2 GB RAM, 2 * 320 GB HDD
>
> On all these PC boxes run Debian GNU/Linux:
> firewall/gateway: Etch
> Server          : Etch
> desktop         : Lenny
>
> The firewall has a buggy hardware and can't to install on it Lenny so
> I decide to buy a new hardware for firewall/gateway.

Put the drive in another computer, install to that drive, then move the
drive back?

> I think about that that I could to use the server box as a
> firewall/gateway and the new PC box for the server..
>
> What is the recommended new hardware for firewall/gateway or for a
> web, mail, file & printer server at a small home network?

Well, since the PII worked just fine, I think you'll find that any
computer on which you can install Lenny will work for you.  I used to
use a 486 with 32 MB ram but Etch couldn't install on it.  It runs
OpenBSD very well.