Re: Meaning of "score" when looking for package solutions

On 22 May 2009 13:33:50 Jason Filippou wrote:
> > Daniel Burrows the maintainer of aptitude is a member of this list.
> > Perhaps he might find some time to respond. I did look into the same
> > question a while back. I believe what it comes down to is the lower the
> > score of the solution the better. Although I could be wrong about that.
> > I took just a minute to see if I could remember where exactly I read
> > about it. I'm fairly sure it was the aptitude user's manual written by
> > Daniel.
> > http://algebraicthunk.net/~dburrows/projects/aptitude/doc/en/index.html<h
> >ttp://algebraicthunk.net/%7Edburrows/projects/aptitude/doc/en/index.html>
> >
> > Hope this helps. And if you do find the answer, please come back and let
> > us all know.
> >

> > - --
> > Daryl Styrk
> > Naples, FL USA
>
> Thanks for the information. I thought that the exact sequence of my
> commands might give some insight on the subject, until I get the time to
> fully research that link. I wanted to install the ordinary compiz config
> settings manager (and I was ashamed to admit it before), so:
>
> Jason

Jason, it is Friday so let's go
Your question was not answered by anyone, yet it is a ligitimate one. Lenny, squeeze or sid, aptitude gives you the same score number which many of us, and I guess for sure people answering, have no idea what it means. So, wait for for a good answer for your question, it will help many people on the list
Thierry