Gnome/GTK programs slow over XDMCP in Lenny

Hi List,

I've been using Debian Etch happily since about October 2007. It's a
great, stable environment for the development work I do.

After some testing in a virtual machine and on a couple of spare boxes,
I decided to move from Etch to Lenny. Unfortunately, I didn't pay enough
attention to the speed of Evolution and other GTK programs during my
testing.

The problem is that I use XDMCP to connect to the server on which my
Debian system is running. It seems that GTK programs in Lenny run rather
badly. The particular problem seems to be scrolling GTK lists, which is
very sluggish (unusably so). I use Evolution as my mail client and
scrolling big lists is a major feature of my usage pattern. Scrolling
OpenOffice is also a problem (this goes away if I open OpenOffice in
KDE).

I'm connecting from a Debian 5 computer running an X server to my Debian
5 server. I also tried connecting to a fresh (i.e. not upgraded from
Etch) Debian 5 installation running in a virtual machine and
demonstrated the same problem.

If I connect to an Ubuntu 8.04 virtual machine, performance scrolling
GTK lists in Evolution is faster than when connecting to the Lenny OSes
and quite acceptable. Ubuntu 8.04 has very similar Evolution/Gnome
versions to Debian Lenny, though I believe they are slightly different.

So, has anyone else experienced this problem?

Does anyone have a workaround?

very best regards,

Seb James

(note - I DO have the RENDER extension on the PC at which I am sitting)