Re: Xorg starts only manually

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 10:00:25AM +0300, Luc Saffre wrote:
> after upgrading my laptop to Lenny, the Gnome desktop no longer starts
> automatically when I boot up. It starts correctly if i then log in at
> the console and run `startx`. I tried `dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg`
> without change. I didn't see anything anormal in /var/log/Xorg.0.log.
> Any suggestions about the possible reason and what I can try next?

Is the file /etc/init.d/gdm present on your system?  If so, try running

    sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start

when you log in to bring up the login screen.  If this works, then run

    sudo update-rc.d gdm defaults

to make sure that the runlevel symbolic links are installed.  On the
other hand, if the GDM init script is missing for some reason, try
installing the package "gdm".

--
Mark Shroyer
http://markshroyer.com/contact/