Re: Accidental shutdown

On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 12:31:47AM +0100, Bhasker C V wrote:

>  I can rename and shell wrap the binaries poweroff/shutdown/reboot but
>  that would not be a clean method and I am sure there should be much
>  better way than that.

Nope. You could disable the reboot command in your sudoers file, but
that isn't going to prevent you from rebooting the wrong machine if you
really make an effort.

You might also consider editing sudoers to change the sudo password
prompt to include the hostname of the box you're on, so that you're less
likely to issue commands to the wrong box if you're paying attention.

However, the real problem here is that you're assuming Linux should
protect you from yourself. It won't; part of being a power user is not
running privileged commands without exercising due care. With power
comes responsibility!

As has been said before: "*nix is user friendly. It's just picky about
who its friends are!"

--
"Oh, look: rocks!"
	-- Doctor Who, "Destiny of the Daleks"