Re: Re: kde4: restore deleted desktop containment

On 12/23/-28158 12:59 PM, Paul Scott wrote:
On 12/23/-28158 12:59 PM, Andrei Popescu wrote:
On Wed,20.May.09, 12:34:01, Jeff Chimene wrote:
Hi,

While futzing w/ KDE 4, I deleted the desktop containment. How do I
restore the desktop containment? Google is not very revealing on this
topic.

What's do you mean by 'containment'?

One would have to ask the KDE wizards. That's what it's called.

Assuming that one starts at the "standard" kde4 desktop:
o Right-click on the desktop
o Select "appearance settings"
o Select "desktop" in "desktop activity"; the description for which is "default desktop containment".

Hi Jeff,

I get this far and don't see any pop out menu.

Sorry, I omitted the last step: mouseover the (now visible) desktop window; which event should cause the pop-out action. I may be wrong in the actions required to raise the pop-out window: the window isn't visible, natch.

After clicking "X" on the containment's pop-out menu, the containment disappears. I was able to restore the default desktop environment by renaming .kde to .kde-save.

That sounds similar to what I had to do when I did the update to KDE 4.2 at the same time as the upgrade to X 7.4 and all kinds of things broke.

To be fair: the Debianization of KDE4.4 seems well-thought-out, But for certain settings that don't have an analog in KDE4 (textured wallpaper?), the migration to KDE4 from KDE3 was smooth. I didn't realize the depth of the migration until after renaming the .kde directory, some migrated properties I took for granted were (obviously) lost.

Paul Scott

Needless to say, this is a bit like "reinstall windows to
remove all virii"