Re: failure to connect usb disk (hal)

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 11:12:16 +0300, Micha Feigin wrote:
> Lately on two machines I can't connect external usb disks.
>
> mounting with pmount-hal works fine but from within xfce at least, the disk
> shows up, but when I try to mount it from the menu (places plugin and thunar) I
> get the following error:
>
> Failed to mount "1G Removable Volume".
> org.freedesktop.hal.storage.mount-removable no <-- (action, result).
>
> I think that I had this on a different machine but I'm not sure about it or how
> I solved it. I believe that one of the hal files is broken, any idea on
> how/what to fix?

I see the same message and failure to mount external usb disks with KDE
4.2 on Sid. (Your version of Claws Mail suggests that you run Sid, too.)

I only encounter the problem if I use startx to bring up KDE from the
console, but not when I log in via KDM. This has led me to believe that
there is a problem in the communication between consolekit, policykit
and hal, preventing the system from recognizing me as local user. (As
far as I understand how the policy system is designed, it is in fact
supposed to block remote users from mounting removable devices, even if
the same users are allowed to mount the devices when the users are
sitting at the computer.)

I have not had time to look into this properly, but I found a somewhat
brutish workaround: You can override all other policies by adding a rule
like the following one to /etc/PolicyKit/PolicyKit.conf:

  <match action="org.freedesktop.hal.storage.mount-removable">
    <match user="florian">
      <return result="yes"/>
    </match>
  </match>