Re: Grub stage1 not found then Error 2 on reboot

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 1:34 PM, Thorny <thorntreehome@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 17 May 2009 14:25:20 +0000, Andrew Malcolmson posted:
>> I had a working Lenny install which I somehow hosed while experimenting
>> with Grub.  On boot, the message displays 'Grub loading stage 1.5' then
>> 'Error 2'
> It might be easier to speculate if you'd tell exactly what you did while
> "experimenting".

I had used Qemu to create an image file of Etch and was trying
variations of grub install commands to get Grub correctly installed on
the image.  I'm pretty sure I accidentally installed an Etch version
of Grub on the root/boot partition of my Lenny PC.

I have in fact found the cause of the problem.  Turns out versions of
Grub from about a year ago were not compatible with newer versions of
e2fsprog which default to creating 256 bit inode ext2/ext3

This command showed that my partition is the newer 256 bit type,
rather than the 128 bit type from under Etch and before:

sudo tune2fs -l /dev/sda1 | grep -i 'inode size'

Therefore, the earlier Grub version I installed could not read my partition.

This problem is discussed below: