Re: postfix with policyd-weight

kj a écrit :
> mouss wrote:
>> note also that mailscanner isn't recommended with postfix. better use
>> amavisd-new.
>
> Hi mouss, why do you say that?  I don't have any experience with it, but
> I have friends and clients who use it with Postfix with great success
> and no problems, so I'm just curious.

there have been many debates on the postfix-users list. the result is
that mailscanner isn't supported on postfix-users list.

the reason is that mailscanner accesses queue files directly. that is,
it uses a non public interface. I will avoid this dicussion (mailscanner
developpers want a public interface to do that for performance reasons,
but postfix author doesn't want to add a constraint on the evolving
design of postfix).

Anyway, the consequence of this is that when postfix is upgraded, the
interface may break (compatibility is only guaranteed for public
interfaces).

if you really need to use mailscanner, then never upgrade postfix until
you know that your current mailscanner version is compatible, or you
need to wait for mailscanner upgrade. in either case, you'll need
support from mailscanner community, not from postfix community.

I personally believe that the performance arguments are not enough to
justify using a private interface. but I am biased because of my own
background. (I value decoupled architectures more than performances...).