2.6.29 custom kernel

Hi you all,

I am experiencing serious troubles in compiling kernel 2.6.29 backport to lenny

Compiling with make-kpkg goes well and ends up with the linux-image deb file, I create initrd.img using

update-initramfs -c 2.6.29

but at boot I got these messages

kinit: No resume image, doing normal boot
mount: Mounting /dev/hda1 on /root failed: Device or resource busy
mount: Mounting /root/dev on /dev/.static/dev failed: No such file or directory
mount: Mounting /sys on /root/sys failed: No such file or directory
mount: Mounting /proc on /root/proc failed: no such file or directory
Target filesystem doesn't have /sbin/init

if I get a grub shell I can't see /dev/sda1 and passing kernel and initrd options (correct ones, vmlinuz-2.6.29 and initrd.img-2.6.29) ends up in a

Failure: failed to load module dm-emc
mount: cannot read /etc/fstab: No such file or directory
No init found. Try passing init= bootarg

Can someone help?

debian testing here
the box is a sony vaio VGN-AW21Z... owned by my company, so help would be very appreciated.

regards
-r