Re: make gnus reply correctly to debian lists

On 2009-05-18 11:53 +0200, Tiago Saboga wrote:

> Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> writes:
>
>> On 2009-05-18 02:25 +0200, Tiago Saboga wrote:
>>
>>> I am moving from mutt to gnus, and I am missing a description of how to
>>> make gnus behave "the right way" when dealing with debian lists. I use
>>> fetchmail to get messages from my ISP, and a strange combination of
>>> procmail and maildrop to filter them into mboxes, where each mailing
>>> list has its own inbox. Gnus takes messages there and stores them in its
>>> nnml backend. Now I would like gnus to know that whenever I reply to any
>>> debian list, it is to send my reply only to the list, except if
>>> explicitly told otherwise (it should also do the right thing if it finds
>>> mail-followup-to and reply-to headers, and I don't even know what is the
>>> right thing in that case).
>>
>> You can achieve this using group parameters, e.g. I have the following
>> parameters for this list:
>>
>> ((to-address . "debian-user@lists.debian.org")
>>  (to-list . "debian-user@lists.debian.org")
>>  (subscribed . t))
>>
>> This ensures that follow-ups and new posts go the list and
>> Mail-Followup-To is set.  See (Info "(gnus) Group Parameters") for more
>> information.  Note that you should reply with follow-up (bound to "F")
>> and not reply-all (bound to "S W") if you want to reply to the list
>> only.
>
> Thanks to everyone who answered. It's what I am doing right now for this
> list (via customization, as I am not yet comfortable with all gnus
> variables), but I am subscribed to more than 10 debian lists and I would
> not like to do this manual configuration for each of them. How do I say
> to gnus: "Everytime I reply to a debian list, I want my message to go
> only to the list, except if I tell you otherwise"?

You can use gnus-parameters to set up all Debian groups (i.e. mailing
lists) at once.  The following untested example assumes that mail sent
to debian-foo@lists.debian.org end up in a debian.foo nnml group:

(setq gnus-parameters
      '(("nnml:debian\\.\\(.*\\)$"
	 (to-address . "debian-\\1@lists.debian.org")
	 (to-list . "debian-\\1@lists.debian.org")
	 (subscribed . t)))

Use with caution and be sure to read the "Group Parameters" section in
the Gnus manual.

Sven