Re: make gnus reply correctly to debian lists

On 2009-05-18 02:25 +0200, Tiago Saboga wrote:

> I am moving from mutt to gnus, and I am missing a description of how to
> make gnus behave "the right way" when dealing with debian lists. I use
> fetchmail to get messages from my ISP, and a strange combination of
> procmail and maildrop to filter them into mboxes, where each mailing
> list has its own inbox. Gnus takes messages there and stores them in its
> nnml backend. Now I would like gnus to know that whenever I reply to any
> debian list, it is to send my reply only to the list, except if
> explicitly told otherwise (it should also do the right thing if it finds
> mail-followup-to and reply-to headers, and I don't even know what is the
> right thing in that case).

You can achieve this using group parameters, e.g. I have the following
parameters for this list:

((to-address . "debian-user@lists.debian.org")
 (to-list . "debian-user@lists.debian.org")
 (subscribed . t))

This ensures that follow-ups and new posts go the list and
Mail-Followup-To is set.  See (Info "(gnus) Group Parameters") for more
information.  Note that you should reply with follow-up (bound to "F")
and not reply-all (bound to "S W") if you want to reply to the list
only.

Sven