Re: using debian dvd iso image with apt

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 4:51 AM, Raffaele Morelli
<raffaele.morelli@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi you all,
>
> I have 3 debian boxes (two i386 and one amd64) which are not connected to
> the network so I usually do upgrades by downloading weekly generated dvd iso
> images, burning images to a dvd-rw and running apt-cdrom add && apt-upgrade.

Look into using jigdo. The way that works is that you download a
template file for the debian weekly builds. Then you download
eventually a full dvd of the debian-weekly ISO, use that for your
updates, and then in a week, you regenerate the dvd content, but you
only have to download the changed files, since jigdo will use the
existing dvd-rw as a source.

Or you can have one machine with all the debs available and point the
other machines to it as a source, but then you need to set up a local
area network to accomplish that.

You could also keep /var/cache/apt/archives up to date on a source
machnie and use a usb stick to keep the other machines current,
syncing /var/cache/apt/archives to the usb stick, and mount the usb
stick under /var/cache/apt.

--
thanks for letting me change the magnetic patterns on your hard disk.