Re: What is the preferred way to install packages from testing/unstable in stable?

also sprach Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> [2009.05.18.0847 +0200]:
> The "Default-Release" option in apt.conf will set stable's
> priority to 990, why are you changing it again to 900?

Two stitches are better than one? ;)

In general, I'd say to prefer /etc/apt/preferences over apt.conf,
unless you really just need to pin stable as in the above. If you do
want more flexibility, then use apt_preferences and comment the
apt.conf entry alongside a little note for later reference.

By the way, even though one can mix testing and unstable, I suggest
to avoid that. http://backports.org contains packages backported
from testing and compiled for the stable distribution, which
integrate better with the system and are well supported (though
unofficial).

It's also rather easy to create backports yourself, using a chroot
build environment. However, then you'll have to worry about security
updates yourself.

--
 .''`.   martin f. krafft <madduck@d.o>      Related projects:
: :'  :  proud Debian developer               http://debiansystem.info

"if they can get you asking the wrong questions,
 they don't have to worry about answers."
                                                     -- thomas pynchon