Re: What is the preferred way to install packages from testing/unstable in stable?

On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 4:38 PM, JoeHill <joehill@teksavvy.com> wrote:
> Aniruddha wrote:
>
>> I would like to install the latest version swfdec-mozilla (because it
>> offers autoplay). I intent to track stable as closely as possible. As
>> far I can tell there are four possibilities to achieve this:
>>
>> 1) Temporary enable testing/unstable repositories and install the program
>> 2) Download *.deb from packages.debian org
>> 3) Use apt-pinning
>> 4) Compile from source, this requires option 1 to be enabled.
>
> I use apt-pinning and it works really well. I followed the Debian apt-pinning
> howto and now run a mix of Testing and Unstable.
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/AptPinning
>
> --

Thanks for the tip. Are there any downsides to be expected from this
method? e.g. accidentally pulling in dependencies for lots of packages
turning my 'stable' into 'testing'. Is this a better option then
temporary enabling testing/unstable repositories or downloading the
debs from the debian.packages.org? And if so why? I'm really curious
to find the best way to run stable while installing an occasional
testing/unstable package. :)