Re: ESS Maestro3 + Lenny

On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 17:59:22 -0400, Dennis Creedan wrote:
> I've configured Gmail to use UTF-8 for outgoing messages ...... hope this
> helps.

You are still sending both a plain text and an HTML version.

> Here is the output of 'lspci -nn'
>
> 02:03.0 Multimedia audio controller [0401]: ESS Technology ES1983S
> Maestro-3i PCI Audio Accelerator [125d:1998] (rev 10)

The wiki lists this chipset among the supported ones; however, this list
is based on the modinfo output of snd-maestro3 and I don't think that
the author of the wiki article had the means to test his procedure with
every listed chipset.

Anyway, Elimar has confirmed that an upstream kernel is needed for
recent versions, and he is a member of the Debian ALSA team.

> At the time of my original email, I had only tried alsa-firmware version
> 1.0.20.  I have subsequently tried 1.0.16, 17, and 19 ...... all with the
> same results.

pity

> Here is the output of 'cat /proc/asound/version'
>
> Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.16.
>
> I installed alsa-base and alsa-utils from lenny.  I noticed that alsa-base
> is version 1.0.17.dfsg-4 and alsa-utils is version 1.0.16-2.  Is this ok?

That is OK, AFAIK.

> Again, any help is greatly appreciated.

Try to compile a vanilla kernel:

http://kernel-handbook.alioth.debian.org/ch-common-tasks.html (Sec. 4.5)
http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-kernel.en.html

Make sure to set CONFIG_SND_DEBUG to more debugging info about the sound
modules.

          Florian   |