Re: Why is the kernel in testing so far behind what's current? [Ext4]

On Fri, 2009-05-15 at 15:44 -0700, Mike Castle wrote:
> On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 2:30 PM, Paul Johnson <baloo@ursamundi.org> wrote:
> >
> > Anything that doesn't have a showstopping-type bug filed against it in
> > sid moves to testing after a week, as I understand it.  You might check
> > bugs.d.o for information.  Is there something in particular you need
> > from 27, 28, or 29?
>
> ext4 that doesn't cause the system to lock up after resizing?

I've just created a wiki page about Ext4. Contribution, feedback and
ideas are welcome:
  http://wiki.debian.org/Ext4

FWIW:
* Resizing ext3 is ok
* Resising ext4 needs special attention:
  - Use a kernel >= 2.6.30 (http://lwn.net/Articles/326708/)
  or
  - Read Ubuntu's release notes (quoted below) seems to provide
    a workaround. --> Has anyone tested it in Debian >=Testing ??

Ubuntu's release note abstracts:
> The resize2fs tool may cause data loss when growing or shrinking ext4
> filesystems off-line. See this mail from the upstream maintainer for
> more details. Unfortunately we became aware of this too late to fix it
> in Ubuntu 9.04. If you wish to resize an ext4 filesystem using the
> tools in Ubuntu 9.04, you may be able to work around these problems by
> first disabling the flex_bg and uninit_bg features (do not attempt
> this on a mounted filesystem!):
>
> tune2fs -O ^flex_bg,^uninit_bg /dev/DEVICE_NAME
> e2fsck /dev/DEVICE_NAME
>
> However, we still strongly recommend taking significantly more care
> with backups than usual before attempting to resize an ext4
> filesystem.

Franklin

--
Stop Software Patents - http://ffii.org/