Re: DNS lookups in Sid

* Peter Crawford <creature.58@hotmail.com> [2009-05-14 10:49:54 -0700]:

> Does /etc/hosts begin thus?
>
> 127.0.0.1    localhost.localdomain    localhost
> 127.0.1.1    mycomputer.invalid    mycomputer
>
> If so, try commenting the 2nd line.

Tried the above, to no avail, so have reverted to original /etc/hosts
thus:

127.0.0.1	localhost
127.0.1.1	mycomputer.mydomain	mycomputer

::1     localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

Interestingly, have been able to solve the surfing problem in iceweasel
by setting the network settings in iceweasel:

Network -> Settings -> No Proxy

Originally set to 'use system proxy settings'

So I think this is a big clue.

Apt still says it cannot resolve any of the repositories, and I don't
have any proxies configured (that I know of).  Hmm.

--
Cheers