Re: Using terminal output as input

On Thu, 2009-05-14 at 20:29 -0300, tyler wrote:
Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> writes:

> I am using a Debian-based distro (Ubuntu). Often I need to use the
> output of one terminal command as the input for another. A classic
> example is the  which command:
> $ which firefox
> /usr/bin/firefox
> $

This may be a stupid question, but what's the difference between firefox
and $(which firefox)? They both run the first executable named firefox
in your path, don't they?

Tyler

--
What is wanted is not the will to believe, but the will to find out,
which is the exact opposite.           --Bertrand Russell

Which doesn't return shell builtins.
For example:
$ which test
/usr/bin/test

But if you actually run test (in bash at least), it's the shell's built in version, not /usr/bin/test.

PaulNM