Help! Lost GDM-based Internet Access in Squeeze

Hi,

I need to file a bug report, but I'm a new Debian and Linux user, and am
having some problems doing so, Reportbug seems to fail. I've never used
Reportbug before!  Therefore I've followed the instructions at
http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting#whatpackage which says, "If you are
unable to determine which package your bug report should be filed
against, please send e-mail to the Debian user mailing list asking for
advice."

The basic problem is this: I updated Debian Squeeze last night using a
weekly scheduled Update Manager update (may have been first one since
dist-upgrade, and since last night's update, Network Manager in Gnome
(or the display manager GUI), doesn't seem to allow an Internet
connection, while prior to the update it worked fine.  At terminal
level, there certainly seems to be access (for example, elinks works),
but in Gnome or the GUI level, not so.

So, when trying to file a bug report with Reportbug, because that seems
to run within Gnome under GTK, it also fails, presumably due to the same
problem.  Here are rebortbug's error messages, and please keep in mind
I've retyped these manually into another computer from which I'm
submitting this to the listserve, so there may be typos, it's not a "cut
and paste".

*begin First Reportbug error

Unable to connect to Debian BTS.

*/end First Reportbug error

**begin Second Reportbug error

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.5/reportbug/ui/gtk2_ui.py", line 459,
in callback
     func (*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.5/reportbug/ui/gtk2_ui.py", line 507,
in execute_operation self.execute (*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.5/reportbug/ui/gtk2_ui.py", line 801,
in execute iter - self.model.append ((highlight (option), options[option]))
KeyError: 'non-critical'

**/end Second Reportbug error

Can anyone help?

Background: I updated to Squeeze or testing distribution because there
were some libraries that were required for running a program I want to
use quite a bit, and updating to testing seemed easiest, though it also
seemed there were other ways to approach the problem.  However, at this
point, I'm wondering if I should just wipe the install and start over
with a clean version of Lenny, and stay with Lenny.  I don't yet have a
Linux backup system that makes rolling back relatively easy yet, it's on
a very long todo list with something of a low priority (getting outside
in the sun and working in the yard and dirt etc. is actually higher on
my personal priority list, at least right now as it's spring, I'm
supposed to be working on a fruit tree irrigation project, it has a
higher personal priority).  So, rolling back would involve a lot of
setup. Oh well!

If anyone can help it would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ken