Re: DNS lookups in Sid

* Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> [2009-05-14 08:59:58 +0300]:

> Maybe this NEWS entry?
>
> ,----[ /usr/share/doc/libc6/NEWS.Debian ]
> | glibc (2.9-8) unstable; urgency=low
> |
> |   Starting with version 2.9-8, unified IPv4/IPv6 lookup have been enabled
> |   in the glibc's resolver. This is faster, fixes numerous of bugs, but is
> |   problematic on some broken DNS servers and/or wrongly configured
> |   firewalls.
> |
> |   If such a DNS server is detected, the resolver switches (permanently
> |   for that process) to a mode where the second request is sent only when
> |   the first answer has been received. This means the first request will
> |   be timeout, but subsequent requests should be fast again. This
> |   behaviour   can be enabled permanently by adding 'single-request' to
> |   /etc/resolv.conf.
> |
> |  -- Aurelien Jarno <aurel32@debian.org>  Thu, 23 Apr 2009 21:14:32 +0200
> `----

Hmm, no joy there, my other OS is a hybrid Lenny/Sid running
libc6-2.9-12

For grins, I manually installed the resolvconf package, edited
/etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/tail to include the line 'single-request',

so now my /etc/resolv.conf reads:

nameserver 192.168.1.1
single-request

across boots.  Still same behavior.  Oddly, all links work from the BBC
rss feed on the iceweasel stock install.

--
Cheers