switch to mutt, can't get my normal dose of spam

After a quite a bit of reading about this mutt mua people are so fond
of, I had the nerve to try to put down Mozilla's Thunderbird down for
a while and take the mutt for a walk.

Using -among other online sources- the debian mutt wiki as a guide,
I get mutt installed, configure a decent (for a rookie) .muttrc, and
replace exim with the simple ssmtp. I use mutt's internal POP
facilties to get mail from my verizon mail account. I haven't
configured procmail or spamassassin yet.

A feeks weeks go by and I notice something strange. I'm not getting my
healthy dose of spam like I used to get when using Tbird. The junk
folder would get filled with a dozen or more a day. Now, nothing. The
only couple of spam messages that I get are the one's from this list.
I am getting mail from all my other legit sources.

Did I do something wrong? Did I horribly misconfigure something?

Debian Sid with latest updates here.