Re: a bit ot: Security system and web cams

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 14:02:13 -0500, Depo Catcher (depocatcher@gmail.com) wrote:

> I've been thinking of setting up a security/monitoring system for my
> home.
>
> Does Debian have any packages or software to control web cams (motion
> detect, recording, viewing, etc).
>
> I need at least 6 cameras.  I can get some really nice ones that work
> under Windows for $90 each; but software (and drivers) only work in
> Windows.
> What would be some good cameras that are supported under linux/Debian?
> Wireless required.

I can recommend motion: 'aptitude show motion' for more information.
There is also a website at
http://www.lavrsen.dk/twiki/bin/view/Motion/WebHome

I believe it will handle multiple cameras but cannot really comment on
that.

--
Bob Cox.  Stoke Gifford, near Bristol, UK.
Please reply to the list only.  Do NOT send copies directly to me.