Re: Encrypting incoming messages with GnuPG

On 05/09/09 18:24, Harry Rickards wrote:
> On 05/09/09 18:05, Harry Rickards wrote:
>> On 05/09/09 17:42, Dave Patterson wrote:
>>> * Harry Rickards <hrickards@l33tmyst.com> [2009-05-09 11:14:14 +0100]:

>>> Hmm.  So, we're looking at encrypting mails as they come in, prior to
>>> disk write, in a format that you, and only you, can later decrypt them,
>>> preferably using gpg.  I don't care why, it's an intereUting problem.
>>> Local storage remains secure.  At least that's what I think is the
>>> intention.
>>> Outside of using some disk encryption system like this:
>>> <http://www.debianhelp.org/node/15244>
>>> I'd try to pipe the mail fetchmail, procmail (pipe to
>>> encryptionscrypt,write-encrypted-email-to-disk)
>>> Remembering procmail only functions as a gate, and does not write the
>>> mail to disk until told to, and neither does fetchmail
>>> (or getmail or retchmail).
>>> script should be very simple:
>>> gpg -e -r yourusergpgidhere themessage
>>> Build from that command.
>>> Trick is to not write to disk prior to encryption.
>> Uh, huh. Thanks for the tips, I'll try to come up with something from that.
>

> So far I've added the gpmail alias in /etc/aliases as a test using the
> following line:
>
> gpmail:|/usr/bin/gpmail
>
> I then created the /usr/bin/gpmail script, and ran newaliases. In
> /usr/bin/gpmail I've got:
>
> gpg --encrypt --sign --armor -r hrickards@l33tmyst.com|mail -s Test
> hrickards@l33tmyst.com
>
> When piping stuff to it from the command line it works fine, but when
> sending a test email to gpmail@l33tmyst.com I get a blank email in
> response. I think this is because /usr/bin/gpmail is being executed as
> the 'nobody' user (I setup a whoami script), and I've setup the GPG keys
> for the 'mail' user. nobody can't use GPG, as it doesn't have a home
> directory, so is there a way to change the user that Postfix pipes
> things to with (to mail or any other user with a home directory)? Thanks
> for all the help.

I've given nobody a home directory to nobody using usermod, and running
/usr/bin/gpmail from the command line logged in as nobody works fine,
but I still receive blank emails when sending mail to
gpmail@l33tmyst.com. I suppose it could be that I'm sending it to the
address it's meant to forward it to, could someone send an email to
gpmail@l33tmyst.com for me? Thanks.
- --
Many thanks
Harry Rickards (a.k.a l33tmyst)