No /dev/dsp in Lenny

I installed Lenny from the latest CD image and things are mostly
fantastic. I have never had so much stuff just work right from
the start. The CS3246 on-board sound chip came right up. amixer
and aplay as well as mplayer and mpg123 all work but there is no
/dev/dsp device.

	I need it for some voice-grade applications I wrote and
for general experimentation.

	A google search turned up more folks whose applications
such as skype wouldn't run for lack of /dev/dsp but I never
found any good answers.

	Is there a way to get /dev/dsp back without killing what
is working?

	Thank you.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer