Re: dvd authoring footage from sd camcorder

Leonardo Canducci wrote, on 2009-04-25 17:57:
I have some footage shoot with a jvc hcsd camcorder I'd like to put on
a dvd. Every clip is stored as a .mod file that should be a standard
mpeg-ps file with ac3 audio. Once renamed as .mpg each clip plays out
of the box.
I'd just like to: join all clips together and put the whole video on a
dvd without re-encoding.
Video should be already dvd compliant so I't just a matter of joining
a few files and generate a dvd iso suitable for any dvd player. Easy,
right? No: I tried a bunch of dvd author apps and none of them was
capable of joining the clips, many were difficult to use, immature, no
more developed or just plain broken. I got the "best" results with
devede but I got a dvd with wrong aspect ratio, I couldn't generate
the dvd without re-encoding (it did complain erroneously about disk
space) and each clip was a title instead of a single title divided
into chapters.

I'd really like to hear from some of you who have tried that before
what are the recommended tools to accomplish that task.

Thanks!

I'm assuming that you have the www.debian-multimedia.org lines in your /etc/apt/sources.list (I have:

deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org sid main
deb-src http://www.debian-multimedia.org sid main

). I have used the package videotrans with some success. I have also used avidemux.

What packages did you use besides devede?

Regards

Arthur.