Re: Gnome desktop icons for mounted removable drives

Andrew G wrote:
> Gnome used to load icons onto the desktop whenever I would insert a
> removable media device (e.g. CD or USB stick, etc.). However, for
> whatever reason, this no longer happens. Can someone please advise if
> this is a bug with Gnome or something for which a hack exists? I've
> searched bug tracker but cannot find anything, so suspect that it may
> not be a bug. I can get the icon by opening up the system desktop icon
> and finding the media there, but it used to load up the icon
> automagically, but doesn't any longer and I'd like to try to get it fixed.

It's probably udev. I had similar issues after an upgrade. Then another
upgrade and my system was not loading device modules like it should have.

I believe what I did was replace the files that were removed in
/etc/udev/rules.d. These, I suppose, were moved to /lib/udev/rules.d but
for some reason, until I put them back in /etc/udev/rules.d, I could not
get things working.

There was a bug report for this.

--
B. L. Jilek | Debian Linux!
bljilek@yahoo.com | GPG key: 11A5D1A4

Thanks for the tip. Have run a few searches using those parameters for info, and saw several related bug reports, but no fixes.

Looking in my own /etc/udev/rules.d/:

$ ls /etc/udev/rules.d/
025_libchipcard.rules libnjb.rules
025_libgphoto2.rules z60_alsa-utils.rules
025_logitechmouse.rules z60_hdparm.rules
65_dmsetup.rules z60_kpartx.rules
70-persistent-cd.rules z60_libpisock9.rules
70-persistent-net.rules z60_libsane-extras.rules
85_dmraid.rules z60_libsane.rules
85-usb-hd-fix.rules z60_xserver-xorg-input-wacom.rules
libmtp8.rules

and looking at a couple of these individual files a little closer, I won't proceed into doing something that I don't understand, because I'm bound to make a mistake somewhere!

So, are there any known fixes yet - or simply wait for upstream developers?

Copied to list for archiving.

Cheers