Re: [OT] netbook recommendation

On Tue, May 05, 2009 at 08:39:06PM +0200, Leonardo Canducci wrote:
> I'd like to buy a netbook and install debian on it, of course. It should be:
> 1. cheap, light and small, otherwise no use for a netbook :)
> 2. linux friendly
> 3. usable (decent keyboard, 9" screen minimum)
> 4. with a decent battery life (3h is not enough)
>
> Most eeepc seem to be well supported and some have a good battery
> life. nc10 seems good but it's not cheap nor friendly. dell mini 9 is
> really cheap but has little battery and bradcom wifi. So... what would
> you recommend?

You didn't mention price. Right now, Lenovo has a sale on its X series
sub-notebooks. $1169 USD for the x200 and $1269 USD for the x200s. The
x200s has better than 3 hour battery life, and LED backlight screen
--12.1" wide screen-- with a resolution of 1400x900, and one of the best
keyboboards foound on any laptop/sub/net-book. These machines, IMHO, are
the ultimate netbooks; you get what you pay for. If you Google
"Lenovo e-coupons" you can get and additional 15 to 20% off, on
top of the the sale price.

I would also recommend a used X series if price was a consideration.
My Thinkpad x40 can be found on used on eBay for a few hundred
dollars in decent condition. It weighs exactly (I tested!) the same as
my friends Lenovo Ideapad s10. Used X61's are also available and very
good machines. The Ideapad, and most netbooks I have fondled,  hav a
horrible keyboards and touchpads. I can't stand touchpads...

Always Innovating should be releasing their ARM based netbook soon.

Fron their website: http://www.alwaysinnovating.com/home/index.htm

The specifications

    * 9.4" x 7" x 1.4" for 2 lbs (with keyboard)
    * ARM Texas Instruments OMAP3 chip
    * 1024x600 8.9'' screen
    * Storage: 8GB micro SD card
    * Wifi 802.11b/g/n and Bluetooth
    * 3-dimensional accelerometer
    * Speakers, micro and headphone
    * 6 USB 2.0 (3 internal, 2 external, 1 mini)
    * 10h to 15 hours of battery life

Personally, I am pateintly awaiting the onlslaught of long battery
life ARM based netbooks. Hopefully there will be a very decent one
(looking at you Lenovo!) with an excellent keyboard, a trackpoint
pointer, and a decent screen.

Cheers