Re: Is it possible to prevent emacs auto saving the filename~?

tyler <tyler.smith@mail.mcgill.ca> writes:

> 明覺 <shi.minjue@gmail.com> writes:
>> I know that emacs auto save a file named filename~ when I modified the
>> file filename, but I do not like the autosaved copy, could i stop this
>> function? thanks
> Set auto-save-default to nil, as explained in the Emacs manual:
> (info "(emacs)Auto Save Control")
> Adding
> (setq auto-save-default nil)
> to your .emacs will do this automatically.

Oops! My mistake - this will turn off the auto-save feature, but what
you were asking about was the backup feature, which is something
different. It's controlled the same way though:

(setq make-backup-files nil)

Details here:

(info "(emacs)Backup")

The contents of this email have been carefully examined by skilled
artisans to ensure that only the purest, archival-quality, virus-free
bits have been used in its construction.