Re: debian "apt" somehow created python hell - help!

On Sat, May 02, 2009 at 03:06:54PM -0400, Walter Lundby <lundby@ameritech.net> was heard to say:
> dpkg: warning - old pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
> dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
> WARNING: python-gtk2-doc.private does not exist.
>         Some bytecompiled files may be left behind.
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "/usr/sbin/update-python-modules", line 437, in <module>
>    public_packages[package].install(need_postinstall)
>  File "/usr/sbin/update-python-modules", line 232, in __getitem__
>    self[name] = SharedFileList (path)
>  File "/usr/sbin/update-python-modules", line 146, in __init__
>    for line in file(path):
> IOError: [Errno 21] Is a directory

  Something is going wrong with update-python-modules, which is in the
python-support package.  I don't know what, though.  I would suggest
that you write to debian-python@lists.debian.org with this question --
they should know which package is at fault (I'm guessing that one of
your Python packages somehow corrupted the registry of installed
Python modules, but I don't know how to find out which one).

  Daniel