Re: BSD handbook - was Re: debiantutorials.org seeks input and new blood

On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 3:32 AM, Bret Busby <bret@busby.net> wrote:

>>> That sounds more like a problem than a solution. I would not try an OS
>>> that had a 1000 page manual. I want simple, not comprehensive.
>>>

>> Well, the thing about FBSD is that it's users are pretty much all
>> hobbyists, so the length of a manual is a good thing. If Debian had
>> documentation of equal or greater length I can only see that as a
>> strength, not a weakness.
>>

> And, if the handbook's content is valid and well structured (with Table of
> Contents, and index, etc), it would probably be an incentive for me (and
> others) to try FreeBSD (FreeBSD was on a recent Linux Format DVD, from
> memory).
>
> Decent Linux reference books in printed form, tend to be around 1000-1200
> pages.
>
> Some good ones are less, significantly less, but, provided the content is
> useful and helpful, there is no problem with a single volume text being
> around 1000 pages.
>
> I haven't used BSD for about 30 years, now, and a good reference book, that
> is comprehensive, is a good incentive to have another go with it.
>
> I think that the BSD that I last used, was v4.2, running on a VAX 11/785.
>
> Hmm. I will have to find another free partition, somewhere...

I haven't been closely following this thread. So, if I'm out-o-bounds,
I apologize . . .

But, if you're interested in a BSD with good (dare I say, great)
documentation, I would suggest openBSD (which just came out with 4.5
yesterday).  FreeBSD is alright (I've been experimenting with there
most recent stable version), but I found that oBSD to be a more
straightforward, less bloated OS with clear and comprehensive
documentation. Some may say that the environment (mailinglist) is
harsh, but that harshness can/should be interpreted as directness and
it's usually focused on  those who provide little/useless info about
his/her situation and don't do their homework . . . i.e., read the
documentation.

FYI - While many of the fBSD folks will tout there ports/package
system, I found it to be a pain (especially the upgrade), as did many
others. There has recently been some chatter on their general mailing
list to overhaul how they handle packages. Again, I found oBSD's
package handling system to be superior.

Good Luck!

www.nealhogan.net          www.lambdaserver.com