Re: failed fsck on boot

On Sat, 2 May 2009, Umarzuki Mochlis wrote:

2009/5/1 明覺 <shi.minjue@gmail.com>
      On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 1:02 PM, Umarzuki Mochlis <umarzuki@gmail.com> wrote:
      > I'm using Debian Lenny i386 on my desktop. After every few months, my
      > computer would failed to boot properly (stuck on fsck). Then I need to
      > recovery mode then manually run fsck. A friend suggested that this is
      > by bad power supply. There are statics on the computer casing but I want to
      > clarify with those who had similar experience.

I ever had experience a little similiar with yours, my debian system
crashed 3 times in 10 days, it was said to be caused by a harddisk
problem, but my harddisk is quit new, and windows installed in another
partition works fine. I think it might be caused by Samba and
Pidgin(with heavy network tranffic and frequent harddisk writes), i'm
not sure whether my guess is true. but for my new installations, i
didn't install samba, and disabled those accounts with heavy traffic
in pidgin, only kept accounts with normal traffic in pidgin.

This has happened with mine too until i found out that it was because of
buggy RAM. If your machine is just crashing randomly ... then you have
a good chance to check the RAM to see if it is all fine...
(boot into the install DVD and in the install prompt of the DVD just say

The only program with frequent hard disk writes is deluge. I gues that explains no matter
what OS I'm using since I'm always downloading files it will still happens. Any

      > TIA.
      > --
      > Regards,
      > Umarzuki Mochlis
      > http://gameornot.net

My platform is Gnu/Linux Debian(sid-amd64, lenny-intelx86) Gnome
Mozilla/Iceweasel Gmail/Evolution Gtkmm/Anjuta/Emacs Scim Totem