Re: xorg (fglrx, radeon, radeonhd, vesa) not working after upgrade

Stefan Bellon engraved :
> Hi all,
>
> I've been running Debian unstable on my IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T60 for
> more than two years with the proprietary fglrx driver to drive the ATI
> Radeon Mobility X1400.
>
> With a recent upgrade a few weeks ago the fglrx driver didn't work
> anymore, so I fell back to the radeon driver which worked (although not
> as fast as the fglrx one).
>
> Yesterday I thought to upgrade again in order to see whether fglrx now
> works again, but I ended up with a completely dysfunctional xorg right
> now. The effect is, that for fglrx there seems to be some ABI
> incompatibility such that X does not start (ABI 2.0 of fglrx vs. ABI
> 5.0 of Xorg) and when falling back to other drivers like radeon,
> radeonhd or even vesa, then the display goes black as soon as X starts
> and nothing happens anymore, switching back to the console is not
> possible, and the machine can only be operated via remote login.
>
> The installed (and relevant AFAICS) xorg packages are as follows:
>
> xserver-xorg                   1:7.4+1
> xserver-xorg-core              2:1.6.1-1
> xserver-xorg-input-evdev       1:2.2.1-1
> xserver-xorg-input-kbd         1:1.3.2-3
> xserver-xorg-input-mouse       1:1.4.0-2
> xserver-xorg-input-synaptics   1.1.0-1
> xserver-xorg-video-radeon      1:6.12.2-1
> xserver-xorg-video-radeonhd    1.2.5-1
> xserver-xorg-video-vesa        1:2.2.0-1
> fglrx-*                        1:9-4-1
>
> As an example I'll attach the xorg.conf file for fglrx together with
> the Xorg.0.log output for fglrx as well as the Xorg.0.log output when I
> just replace Driver "fglrx" with Driver "radeonhd". I can also provide
> the logs for drivers radeon and vesa, but I doubt they shed any more
> light onto this issue than the radeonhd log already does.
>
> I would be very grateful for any help regarding this issue!
>
> Greetings,
> Stefan

Hi,

you'll be sorry to hear that your card is now a "legacy" one according
to AMD/ATI. They dropped support for a bunch of card with the 9.4 release.

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/linux/legacy/Pages/radeon_linux.aspx?type=2.4.2&product=2.4.2.3.9&lang=English

So I guess the Sid version is too new for you, you can install an older
fglrx (9.3) or stick with the free driver.

Tom