Re: RAID5 (mdadm) array hosed after grow operation (there are two of us)

In <[🔎] 20090430141527.GC28027@khazad-dum.debian.net>, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
wrote:
>On Wed, 29 Apr 2009, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
>> In <[🔎] 20090429192819.GB1598@khazad-dum.debian.net>, Henrique de Moraes
>> Holschuh wrote:
>> >It would need to start refusing devices with a raid superblock (all
>> > types), unless forced.
>> The feature doesn't have to be perfect out of the box.  It could initially
>> just match 0.90 version superblocks and be extended later.
>1.0 superblocks are widely used.  Please don't do that.  Either implement
>support for both, or use mdadm (which knows both).

He who codes, decides.  Either put forth the effort to
design/write/review/test/apply the patch or don't be surprised if your
preferences are not highly weighted in the resulting code.

That said, I think everyone participating in the thread so far has agreed that
we don't want separately-maintained detection code in LVM that could get out
of date, but for LVM to use the existing detection code when it is available
on the system.

>This kind of stuff really should not be done halfway, it can suprise someone
>into a dataloss scenario.

Right now, LVM will stomp all over devices with either 0.90 or 1.0
superblocks.  Even if it can only detect one or the other and not both, it
will cause less data loss than now.