Performance problem with some php scripts or..?

Hello.
I have a serious problem and i'm not able to identify the error.

MY FORMER SERVER:
------------------------------------
CPU: Intel Celeron 2.4 GHz
2 GB RAM
4x 500 GB HDD configurated as JBOD (2 TB)
Connect to 100 MBit internet link  (gigabith ethernet card)
OS: Fedora Core v. 6 - 32bit,
Programs: PHP 5.2.0, Apache 2, Zend optimizer 3

MY ACTUAL, NEW SERVER:
-------------------------------------
AMD Phenom(tm) 9550 Quad-Core Processor - 2.2 GHz
8 GB RAM
3x 1.5 TB Seagate SATA (/home, /home2, /home3)
Connect to 100 MBit internet link   (gigabith ethernet card)
OS: Debian Lenny - 64 bit
Programs: Apache2.2 as prefork + PHP5.2.6-lenny2 as module
(libapache2-mod-php5) and Zend optimizer 3.3.3 (last version)

I'm running own version of file-share server, similar to rapidshare.com.
So my users can upload files and download them later on.
In addition to classical upload from users pc i offer also an option
of "URL Upload" -
user inputs to the form url to a file, which is on another server and
my system downloads it,
stores it and makes it available for download.

My site is running on a collection of PHP scripts called "MEGA FILE
HOSTING SCRIPTS"
(http://yabsoft.com/mfhs-feature.php).

On my former server, when i was using url uploading i was able to
reach the speeds of 20 000 - 30 00 kbps (~20-30 MBits).
BUT since i have a new server hardware, the speed is not more than ~5000 kbps.
In exceptional cases (when I restart apache) it goes to ~7000 kbps for
a while (first 2-5 sec).

The error can not be related to my provider or caused by slow internet
connection because when I download the same file
with program "links" in shell on server, the speed arises to 20-30 Mbps.

MFHS scripts on the new server are the same as on my former server.

Because of this, i see the only possibility in php and apache
configuration or something else? :-o

The autor of mega file hosting script is not responding to my question
and his system is too big and complex to start
studying it and try to find the error. The only thing what I have
discovered is that the system is calling cgi scripts when uploading
and this cgi one is calling another php scripts and among the library
[httpclient] (http://www.phpclasses.org/browse/package/3.html) is
beign used.  .

Please, do you know something about a limitation or can you advice me
where to look for the strange error?
I tried to switch to apache2-mpm-worker with php5-cgi - but it did not
help so i decided to switch back to prefork.

I suspect also this 64 bit version of debian.
May be the error is somewhere there?

MANY THANKS FOR YOU ANSWERS, ADVICES OR GUIDANCE.

Remenec.