Re: Re: Hideous font when printing text file

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 10:18:37AM +0200, Henk Koster wrote:
> Thanks for your assistance. I use lp or lpr for printing text files (as
> stated in the OP), e.g.
>
> $ ls |lp
>
> to print a directory listing to the default printer (I have only one
> printer). That lp is really /usr/bin/lp. I've made no changes to the
> default Debian printing setup.
>
> There's no problem printing such text files using a2ps, I don't know
> whether or not this is significant.

Sounds like this CUPS  bug: <http://bugs.debian.org/519265>. Simplest
thing to do is to send postscript, ie use a2ps, enscript or something
similar.

This can cause problems if you don't want the fancy formatting which
a2ps and its ilk bring on board. I had a label printing script that
was broken by this bug, and ended up modifying it to incorporate
something similar to text.ps from the psprint package in CTAN
<http://www.ctan.org/get/dviware/psprint/unix/text.ps>

HTH

dt

--
Dave Thayer           | Whenever you read a good book, it's like the
Denver, Colorado USA  | author is right there, in the room talking to