Re: RAID5 (mdadm) array hosed after grow operation (there are two of us)

In <[🔎] 20090429141142.GA19312@piper.oerlikon.madduck.net>, martin f krafft
wrote:
>also sprach Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. <bss@iguanasuicide.net> [2009.04.29.1557
+0200]:
>> >One should thus fix LVM to be a bit more careful...
>>
>> LVM allows you to strictly limit what devices it scans for PV headers.
>
>That's not enough; LVM knows that md exists, and LVM-on-md is about
>99.99998% of the sane use-cases, so LVM should require a --force or
>even --yes-i-know-what-i-am-doing-so-let-the-monkeys-rain flag
>before it uses a physical volume that has an md superblock.

I'm down with LVM running something like:
mdadm --has-superblock /dev/block/device
for devices that have a PV header and refusing to automatically treat them
as PVs if it returns success, as long as it doesn't affect md-on-LVM.  I
haven't used it recently, but I generally do my luks/aesloop on top of LVM.

The detection needs to be done by "md" itself, though, so that LVM doesn't
have to have separately-maintained detection code that will eventually
become out-of-date and leave us in the same situation.