Re: Iceweasel vs. Firefox in User-Agent (was: Microsoft Virtual Earth-based apps not working)

On Qua, 29 Abr 2009, "Barclay, Daniel" wrote:
Wait a minute.  Why does the Debian-rebranded Firefox go beyond just changing
the software name (the name used to identify the software to humans, relevant
to the Mozilla licensing issue) and also change the _technical_ behavior,
reducing compatibility?

Does the Mozilla license really require Debian to change the user agent string?

If it really does, could the string be structured something like
"Iceweasel (Firefox compatible)" so that at least some user-agent sniffing
will recognize Iceweasel as the Firefox browser the web site already knows?

I asked the same thing some time ago. I agree that the User-Agent should keep "Firefox".

Besides that, there are several places in which the name "firefox" is used internally in Iceweasel, such as file paths (it still stores settings in ~/.mozilla-firefox, for example). If there is a need to remove all occurences of "firefox" (which I doubt there is), these would have to be changed too.

--
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br