Re: The size by default of the /usr partition is becoming too small

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 09:54:29PM +0000, c soize wrote:

> Dear sir Hello,
>
> I'm french user of Debian. Excuse my english.
>
> For several years, the size suggested during
> the installation for the /usr partition has been 5 GigaByte (GB).
>
> However the softwares becomes increasingly large:
> open office 3.01, Gimp 2.6, pidgin, Xsane, KDE 4.2.2 ,…
>
> The size by default of the /usr partition is becoming too small (5 GB).
>
> I think it is urgent to propose a default size of 10 to 15 GB for the /usr partition. I am not sufficiently expert to make it myself during installation.
>
> 5 GB for the partition /usr is out of date.
>
> Thank you for improving Debian every day.
>
> Christophe SOIZE

If you were to set up LVM volumes during install you would have the ability to resize the partitions along the way as you see fit.
have a look at http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/index.html to get you going.
--
Daryl Styrk
Naples, FL USA