flash memory camcorder clips to dvd

I have some footage shoot with a jvc hcsd camcorder I'd like to put on
a dvd. Every clip is stored as a .mod file that should be a standard
mpeg-ps file with ac3 audio. Once renamed as .mpg each clip plays out
of the box.
I'd just like to: join all clips together and put the whole video on a
dvd without re-encoding.
Video should be already dvd compliant so I't just a matter of joining
a few files and generate a dvd iso suitable for any dvd player. Easy,
right? No: I tried a bunch of dvd author apps and none of them was
capable of joining the clips, many were difficult to use, immature, no
more developed or just plain broken. I got the "best" results with
devede but I got a dvd with wrong aspect ratio, I couldn't generate
the dvd without re-encoding (it did complain erroneously about disk
space) and each clip was a title instead of a single title divided
into chapters.

I'd really like to hear from some of you who have tried that before
what are the recommended tools to accomplish that task.

Thanks!

--
Leonardo Canducci