Re: How long will updates to Etch be available?

Bob Cox <debian-user@lists.bobcox.com> writes:

> On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 12:15:22 +0200, Csanyi Pal
> (csanyipal@gmail.com) wrote:
>
>> Sjoerd Hardeman <sjoerd@lorentz.leidenuniv.nl> writes:

>> > Only security updates will be made to Etch, for still nine more
>> > months. Yet, as Lenny is stable now, it also won't get new features.
>> > I don't think it is wise to run Etch when the security support ends,
>> > so upgrading before January 2010 seems sane to me.
>> > Yet, of course do take time to plan and test your update cycle
>> > appropriately, don't wait until the last day.
>> >
>> > Sjoerd
>>
>> But I have on my Pentium I or II (?) PC box a Debian Etch that I can't
>> to upgrade to Lenny because of this bug (?):
>
> Ok, so this says:
>
>> After I edited the sources.list and add a debian mirror, I run
>> 'aptitude update' but get the message: 'Illegal instruction'.  After
>> that I can't to use aptitude anymore, nor apt-get anymore.
>
> Did you get a reply to your bug report?  If not, then perhaps posting a
> copy here of your sources.list - with the mirror which is causing you
> your problem added - and see if someone can help you.

I didn't get a reply to my bug report.

After this happend to me I have installed on this PC box Debian
GNU/Linux Etch again.

The sources.list was:
------------->
# Security
deb http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main

# Debian stable
deb http://ftp.debian.org lenny main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.debian.org lenny main contrib non-free
------------->

The aptitude on Etch run perfectly on this PC box with Pentium II
class processor:
model name: AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor,
cpu MHz         : 451.032,

but like I say, on Lenny for some reason the aptitude don't works.

I can on this PC box on Etch system to compile a kernel, I have
verified the RAM with memtest86+ before I have installed on it the
Debian Etch and find no errors.

The Internet connection is through a cable modem and I must use
cdc_ether module.

I'm using this PC box for firewall/gateway.

Any hints for a solution?
Any advices will be appreciated!

--
Regards, Paul Csanyi