Re: Bash Session

On Saturday 25 April 2009 12:57:08 Kurian Thayil wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Planning to give a small demo on BASH scripting in a LUG community.
> Audience will be school teachers and basic home users and thus are
> beginners. Thinking on how to present simple and some example scripts that
> will make them more interesting and love command line. Need some
> suggestions.
>
> Its always difficult to think simple and easy. :-) So I've quite confused
> here on how and what to present. Any help?????

  I'd focus on a variety of contexts where scripting is
handy -- .bashrc and cron leap to mind.

  What can you do in your .bashrc file?  Set environment
variables, extend/modify your path, detect the local
architecture, and so forth.

  What's useful in cron?  Parse /etc/passwd or /etc/shadow
and send yourself an e-mail expiry notice, maybe.

  Automatic creation and testing of back-ups, maybe.

  Simple scripts, and in an environment (especially in .bashrc)
where other tools just aren't as good.

				-- A.
--
Andrew Reid / reidac@bellatlantic.net