Re: virtualbox and usb devices

Micha Feigin wrote:
> I've installed virtualbox from http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian
> on my debian unstable. I'm trying to connect a usb device to that machine (a
> usb camera at the moment). It appears under devices->usb devices->camera 0100
> but it is grayed out and I can't mark it.
>
> I tried adding write permissions to /proc/bus/usb, /dev/bus/usb and /dev/*usb*
> but it doesn't seem to help.
>
> Any idea on how to make usb work?

I recently got USB working with VirtualBox on my machine (x86 Squeeze) by
following the instructions in section 11.5.7 of the User Manual (available from
<http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads>).

My /etc/fstab file contains this line:

none    /proc/bus/usb  vboxusers    devgid=127,devmode=664  0    0

Line 75 of my /etc/init.d/mountkernfs.sh (should be a single line):

domount usbfs usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs
-onodev,noexec,nosuid,devgid=127,devmode=664

(I added the devgid and devmode options; the devgid here matches the devgid in
/etc/fstab)

And make sure your user account belongs to the vboxusers group.

- Chris Burkhardt