Hal monitor detection, was hal documentation

On Apr 25, 2009, at 2:02 AM, Paul Scott wrote:

Thierry Chatelet wrote:

Reading this with interest too. I may be completly out, but things like those happend too me, then I run: 'Xorg -configure'. This gave me a xorg.conf file old fashon, and it then did work the old fashon. Waiting for hal too be better, it's a way out of the trouble.

Thanks!!  Now I can get more work done on this box!

So why can 'Xorg -configure' detect my monitor frequencies correctly and whatever Hal uses can't? get-edid doea correctly get the monitor name. Does Hal depend on some kind of database to get the monitor spec's that my Dell M770 monitor may not be in?

Paul